Tuesday, July 13, 2010

And So It Begins...

This week I've received some of my first correspondence from my law school. Or orientation begins the second week of August with a picnic followed by a week or "boot camp" before classes begin. I wonder if this is typical of law schools? In what I've read, I haven't seen much like it.
I'm anxious at this point about a few things. One is my age. I'm not old (will be 30 when school starts), but I'm older than many of the 21 year olds who will be entering law school this fall. I'm sure in some ways this is an advantage. In other ways, I hope I can "fit in." Law school seems very different than grad. school in this way. For my MFA and PhD I "survived." There wasn't much competition for grades. Everyone got an A or an A-, and that was the end of it. Here I need to stay in the top half of my class to receive my scholarship for next year even. Everyone thinks they'll be in the top half, right? For me, this is a little different. I know no one expects to fail out, but the truth is that in any school people inevitably do. And it can't be me! I have given up a job my teaching job. If I fail out of law school I'll be the most over-qualified coffee barista in my town.

I'm still very anxious about how much "prepping" to do as well. I have been working through some lessons on CALI, reading, and trying to stay organized (making a calendar), but how much is too much, and how much is not enough?
If nothing else, I will say that my school seems relatively organized. In most of my time as a graduate student I have been lost in websites, rules, regulations, financial aid, and the registrar. In this case I'm told exactly where to go and what to do at what time. In some ways this is a great relief. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thirty-three days until orientation begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment